unauthorized sharing your contact number (experience)

baguhan01

I bought a basic dual sim phone with free sim card in SM Mall this last July and I paid it using my credit card. After a month a mysterious person called to my free sim card and offered me to avail Security bank loan; I was upset, because I NEVER used that free sim to any kind of transaction (it just a back up sim w/o load) and what bothered me most was he knew my name?! .

I immediately declined his loan offer and asked him how did he get my name and the phone number, he said my number was referred by other person who applied on Security bank credit card but he don't know whos that person is (BULL SHIT), also he don't know my address, birthday or other personal information other than my name he insisted, my number might referred by my friends he said... What a joke, NO ONE knows my free sim card number w/ my name into it EXCEPT ME and the gadget store in SM Mall (my suspect). I remembered I wrote my name on their customer log sheet who received their free sim card... That afternoon I visited the gadget store to address my concerns regarding unauthorized sharing of my number. They suggested to dispose the free sim card(TNT) and buy other new sim.

Just My Hunch: since I never registered to any account or used that free sim card, it is possible that some staff on the gadget store shared my contact number to the credit card agent or possible scammer

this happened to me before when I bought an Iphone in Globe. UCPB texted me about a loan even if I dont have any account in them. They even got my name right which is weird. I think they shared our information credentials with other companies. Also tinfoiled-hat thining it just my web browsing algorithm. I just so bothersome.

• 2 weeks later...

for some reason may nagli-leak ng contact numbers sa mga loan agents/agencies, real estate broker, etc. I keep getting loan and condo offers and much worse, remote jobs! i know before binebenta yung info to these third parties e for marketing purposes, sadly sa maling kamay napupunta yung iba. 

• 3 months later...

Tingin ko naleleak yung mga contact tracing forms from 2020 to today. Kasi yung Globe number ko yung ginamit ko tapos halos every week may isang unwanted SMS, yung Smart number ko halos walang spam messages.

nakuwento sa akin minsan na ginagawa ng ibang telemarketer, pupunta sila sa kahit anong store na may sign-up sheet na may contact number, kunwari may gagawin sila sa store o kiosk, tapos pipicturan nila yung sheet. lalo na ngayon na may stores na sign-up sheet pa rin ang contact tracing nila.

• 8 months later...